The Bedford Genealogical Society, Inc. (BGSI) is comprised of individuals who wish to preserve the family histories of people who have lived in this county and the surrounding areas. Our members reside in Bedford County, as well as the Commonwealth of Virginia and throughout the United States. Both the organization and its members work together to promote the gathering and sharing of accurate genealogical information to all interested persons at the lowest possible cost. The Society belongs to the Federation of Genealogical Societies and the Virginia Genealogical Society.
Bedford County was established on December 13, 1753 from parts of Lunenburg County. Later, in 1756, a portion of Albemarle County lying south of the James River was added. The county is named for John Russell, the fourth Duke of Bedford, who was a Secretary of State for Great Britain. In 1782, Campbell County was formed from eastern Bedford County and the county seat was moved from New London to Liberty (now Bedford). Also, in 1786, the portion of Bedford County south of the Staunton (Roanoke) River was taken with part of Henry County to form Franklin County.
SATURDAY, 8 Apr 2017
Bedford Room at the Bedford CENTRAL Library
321 N. Bridge St. in downtown Bedford, VA.
Sharon Proehl, DAR Registrar with the Peaks of Otter Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will present the program about the DAR Membership process.
Refreshments will be available after the program.
There is plenty of parking available BEHIND the library, which is accessed from Bedford Avenue. The Bedford Room may be entered from the parking lot by using the door at the far left of the building. You may also enter through the library (during regular library hours) and access the meeting room from the cafe. Both entrances are handicap accessible. All programs are free and open to the public!
SATURDAY, 13 MAY 2017 – MONTHLY MEETING
1:30 pm in the Bedford Room at the Bedford Public Library
Program – TBD